Our foundation is a trusted philanthropic leader because of our in-depth knowledge of area needs, more than 35 years of experience and longstanding relationships with nonprofit and civic leaders.
Increase Your Charitable Impact
Many area donors who have established their own private foundations have chosen to affiliate with our foundation as a way to increase their charitable impact in the community, take advantage of our philanthropic expertise and services, and/or reduce some of the customary burdens and expenses that can come with running a private foundation (other donors who were initially considering private foundations have approached us about exploring Alternatives to Private Foundations
We have a reputation for being the hub for meaningful philanthropy covering 42 communities in Eastern Connecticut.
- We establish powerful, sustainable charitable funds that reflect the passions of our donors – over 560 funds, totaling more than $113 million in assets.
- We issue charitable annual grants to nonprofits and scholarships to students through these funds – a total of more than $72 million since we were founded in 1983.
- We help local nonprofit organizations strengthen their capabilities.
- We serve as a neutral, common meeting ground where regional leaders can convene to address community needs.
Read more about Our Work and about Why Donors Choose Us
Keep Your Name & Purpose
There are three ways that private foundations work with our foundation to improve Eastern Connecticut – all while maintaining their foundation’s original name and charitable purpose, and as much direct involvement as their directors wish.
- Establishing a parallel Donor-Advised Fund with us enables your private foundation to access our expertise in grant making and other substantial capabilities – without altering your foundation’s structure. Read more about our services for Current Donors and Recent Grantees and Why Donors Choose Us
- Gifting your foundation’s federally mandated 5 percent annual payout into a Donor-Advised Fund at our foundation simplifies your grant-making and tax-reporting obligations, enables your foundation to avoid worries about meeting annual disbursement deadlines, and provides you with access to our expertise and efficiencies – again, without altering your foundation’s structure.
- Replacing your foundation with a Donor-Advised Fund at our foundation is an option favored by donors who wish to be freed from burdensome administrative requirements and worries about doing justice to their charitable mission. In addition to the benefits described above, this approach eliminates the annual 5 percent payout requirement and the need to file Federal Tax Form 990-PF every year. From an income-tax standpoint, contributions to a Donor-Advised Fund are deductible up to 50 percent of the donor’s adjusted gross income, as opposed to 30 percent for private foundations.
If you are a director of a private foundation, we would like to work with you in improving the quality of life in Eastern Connecticut.
Our door is always open!
Whether you are new to philanthropy or looking to do more through your giving, we can help you have a meaningful impact on the issues and communities that you care about. Contact Alison Woods (New London County) or Lauren Parda (Windham or Tolland Counties) for a confidential conversation.